The American Revolution Flip Chart
http://www.prometheanplanet.com/en-us/Resources/Item/26945/american-revolution#.V4lMg-grLIU
I choose this flip chart on the American Revolution because of its in depth look into the American revolution. Which is a subject area I teach in my classroom. I also liked that much of this flip chart allowed for student interaction through the Interactive White Board. According to Roblyer and Doering (2012) "Teachers say technology's visual and interactive qualities can direct a students attention toward learning tasks" (p. 25) On of the first slides in this flip chart is and interactive tic-tac- toe game that I believe would help grab my students attention. I have found in my class room that the Interactive White Board is one of the most vital pieces of hardware I use. It allows students to become engaged in class lectures on a whole new level when used to it full capability. In order for this hardware to do that the interactive white board software, that accompanies this hardware, must be invested in. This software is needed so that the white board lessons have their interactive qualities. (Roblyer and Doering, 2012 p.147)
I also liked that this flip char used pictures and graphics to bring the subject matter to the students. As Roblyer and Doering (2012) state "Simulations and other interactive software tools have a unique abilities to illustrate science and mathematics concepts. (p.25) I believe this technology can be just as effective demonstrating social science concepts such as timelines and key figures in history. This type of technology is essential to meeting the student learner needs of the modern digital native student.
I believe that the ability to use flip charts like the American Revolution are an important part integrating technology in the classroom. As stated by Roblyer and Doering (2012) "Teachers need system wide support to implement technology." (p. 64) This shared vision for technology integration is on of the essential conditions for technological integration. (Roblyer and Doering, 2012 p.65) Both teachers and administrators must have the desire to implement lessons like the American Revolution Flip Chart used on the Interactive White Boards. For this type of lesson to work there must not only be a willingness to invest in the hardware and software needed but also a willingness to emphasize teacher training and development. Roblyer and Doering state that "Successful technology programs hinge on well trained motivated teachers." (p.65) Without this professional development the essential conditions for technology integration will not exist and the school system will be left with a bunch of really nice screens and a hefty bill.
References
Roblyer, M.D. & Doering, A.H. (2012). Integrating educational
technology into teaching (6th ed.). Columbus, OH: Merrill Prentice Hall.
Kevin,
ReplyDeleteI like that you identified how the types of software you described can be used effectively in social sciences (and English, I would add for my own sake!) just as they can in math and science. Roblyer and Doering (2003) mention that one of the problems tech like this has to solve is how to support learning needs (p. 25) How do you think interactive board software is solving this problem, particularly in social sciences as compared to math or science?
I like how you plan to use this in your classroom. The text discusses essential conditions that must be met to use certain software. What happens if the school system does not support teacher training or if they don't have an adequate technical support system? How will that affect your classroom?
ReplyDeleteI like how the flip chart you used illustrated the information clearly for your students. Also, I like how you explained how the software would be most useful to you in a classroom. One question I have for you is how can you monitor a lager class with the interactive tic-tac- toe game?
ReplyDelete